"The ideals of Christianity have not been tried and found wanting; they have been found difficult, and left untried." -G.K. Chesterton

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My Thoughts About Helen...

Possibly my favorite subject is my girlfriend, Helen. She and I have been dating for about 1yr, 9mo, and 5days... give or take. She is the only girl who I have ever dated and the only girl who I want to date. We have something of a strange relationship because we have been talking about marriage since about 3 months after we started dating. I have always been taught that the purpose of dating is to find a person to marry. Therefore what's the point of dating if I'm not ready to get married? And what's the point of dating someone if I don't intend to consider marrying them? I also believe that God has a person for me to marry and that if I wait for Him to show me that person, then I won't be disappointed.

Well, I met Helen about 4 years ago during my sophomore year of highschool (that was the first year that I was in public school). I instantly realized that she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I started praying about it and decided that if this was the girl that God had planned for me then I would make myself available, but I wouldn't send any signals until God told her the same thing. It was after 2 years of walking her to class and hanging out with her at school that I decided to join the Marine Corps. Only four days before I left I decided to throw caution to the wind and I asked her out 3 days in a row. She wrote to me all 3 months of bootcamp and when I came back for 10 days of vacation, we decided that we were officially dating. Well, this naturally brought up my thoughts about dating (marriage) and so I asked her what she thought dating was for. She almost quoted me word-for-word about how she wouldn't date anybody unless the goal was to find out whether we should get married or not. She has never dated anyone else either. Well, here we are, madly in love and ready to get married, but she's going to college back home in Texas and I'm stuck up here 1300 miles away in North Carolina. Unfortunately, we still have a while to go before she graduates and so we're trying to avoid a long engagement. At this point, she's trying to graduate in 3 years instead of 4 so that she can move up here when we get married.

I cherish her as the most precious thing on this earth. She only gets more beautiful every day and I can hardly love her as much as she deserves. I will try to get a picture posted at some point, but I don't have one on the web, until then you can take my word for the fact that she is the most gorgeous young lady in the world. She is also one of the smartest, she graduated 6th in a class of almost 700 and she has already been approached for 3 honors programs in her freshman year of college. You can probably begin to see what I meant when I said that if you wait for God, then you won't be disappointed.

I love you, Sweetheart.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you, too. However, for the sake of accuracy, I just want to let the rest of the world know that Matt may perhaps be just the slightest bit biased when it comes to me. So... don't believe anything he says.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home